Sports News

Rublev asks ATP to review rule that led to Dubai default

[ad_1]

Andrey Rublev has asked the ATP Tour to change the rule that led to him being banned from the Dubai Tennis Championships last week.

Rublev was dismissed by the chair umpire after a Russian-speaking official said he used an obscenity while shouting at a linesman during a call during his semi-final against Kazakhstan’s Alexander Bublik on Friday.

Rublev denied the accusation and urged officials to review video of the incident, a request that was denied.

Bublik led 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-5 when he claimed victory, but world number five Rublev later successfully appealed the decision and will retain the ranking points and prize money in money he earned, barring a $36,400 fine for a code violation.

In an Instagram post, Rublev thanked the appeals commission but said the rules needed to be rethought.

“I hope that in the future the ATP will take a closer look at this rule and make changes to it, so that an official cannot dictate the outcome of a match without having clear evidence and without allowing for the player to view a video,” Rublev said.

Reuters has contacted ATP for comment.

“Even though I’m disappointed that I couldn’t finish my semi-final in Dubai, I’m grateful for all the support I’ve received from you over the last two days, I’ve received a lot of messages,” added Rublev.

[ad_2]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button