Health News

Kate Middleton says she has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy – National | Globalnews.ca

[ad_1]

Kate Middleton, the Princess of Wales, said cancer was discovered during her abdominal surgery earlier this year and she was undergoing “preventative chemotherapy”, she announced on Friday.

Kensington Palace did not reveal what type of cancer was detected, but said it was discovered during post-operative tests after her abdominal operation.

“In January I had major abdominal surgery in London and at the time it was thought my condition was not cancerous. The operation was successful, but tests carried out after the operation revealed the presence of cancer,” she said in a video message posted on social media on Friday afternoon, dressed informally in jeans and a white striped sweater.

“My medical team therefore advised me to undergo preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of this treatment. Of course, this was a huge shock and William and I did everything we could to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family.

Story continues below advertisement

Kate Middleton, Princess of Wales; Princess Charlotte; Prince George; William, Prince of Wales; Prince Louis and Mia Tindall arrive to attend the Christmas Day service at St Mary Magdalene Church at Sandringham in Norfolk, England, Monday December 25, 2023.

Kin Cheung / Associated Press

“As you can imagine, it took a while, it took me a while to recover from major surgery to begin my treatment,” the princess continued. “But more importantly, it took us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that worked for them and to reassure them that everything will be okay.

“As I told them, I am doing well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal, in my body and my mind. Having William by my side is also a great source of comfort and reassurance.

In her statement, she asked for “time, space and privacy” while she underwent treatment.

“For now, I need to focus on making a full recovery.”

Story continues below advertisement

Neither the Palace nor Middleton have confirmed what type of surgery she initially underwent in January that led to the discovery of cancer.


Click to play video: 'I'm fine': Kate Middleton reveals cancer diagnosis in video released by Palace »


‘I’m fine’: Kate Middleton reveals cancer diagnosis in video released by Palace


In her message, she shared a word for others affected by the disease.

“At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer,” she said. “For anyone facing this disease, in any form, do not lose faith or hope. You’re not alone.”

(Read the full transcript of Middleton’s video.)

Britain’s Catherine, Princess of Wales, appears in this still image taken from a video published on March 22, 2024, in which she announces that she is undergoing preventative chemotherapy after the discovery of cancer, following her abdominal operation in January. BBC Studios/handout via REUTERS.

BBC Studios / Document via REUTERS

The initial announcement of the surgical procedure

The latest health and medical news are sent to you by email every Sunday.

The latest health and medical news are sent to you by email every Sunday.

On January 17, Kensington Palace released its first statement on Middleton’s health, informing the world that she had undergone abdominal surgery the day before at the London clinic.

Story continues below advertisement

“Based on current medical advice, it is unlikely that she will return to public duties before Easter,” the Palace said at the time, adding that she would spend 10 to 14 days in hospital before returning home to recover.

The statement also said Middleton preferred to keep her “personal medical information” private and did not specify the type of surgery.

A second statement was released 13 days later, saying the princess had returned to the family home in Windsor to continue her recovery.

The princess is “making good progress,” the Palace said on January 29.

The Palace initially announced that the operation was for a “non-cancerous” illness. It was only later, following post-operative examinations, that the disease was detected.

Story continues below advertisement

A screen displays a news report, as Catherine, Princess of Wales, announces that she is undergoing preventive chemotherapy treatment for cancer on March 22, 2024 in London, England. The Princess of Wales underwent abdominal surgery earlier this year and revealed cancer was later discovered. She said she was undergoing chemotherapy and asked for privacy for her and her family.

Leon Neal / Getty Images

Good wishes to the princess

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shared his support for Middleton and wished her a “speedy recovery” in a social media post Friday.

“My thoughts are with the Princess of Wales, her children and all the Royal Family following the news of her cancer so courageously shared,” he wrote.

“On behalf of Canadians, I express my support for her as she undergoes treatment. We all wish him a speedy recovery.

Story continues below advertisement

Governor General Mary Simon also shared her best wishes, writing: “I wish the Princess of Wales courage and strength as she undergoes preventive treatment for cancer. My thoughts are with her and her family.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said in a statement that Middleton “showed extraordinary courage.”

He also addressed the storm of speculation and gossip that Middleton and her family have been subjected to in recent weeks, as the public clamored for information about her health.

Story continues below advertisement

“In recent weeks she has come under intense scrutiny and been treated unfairly by sections of the world’s media and on social media.”

White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre opened her Friday briefing with reporters moments after the news broke.

“We have just heard the terrible news,” said Jean-Pierre.

“Our thoughts are with the Duchess of Cambridge and her family,” she added. “We certainly wish him a full recovery.”

A new blow for the royal family

It’s been a difficult start to the year for the royal family, as Friday’s news comes as King Charles III is currently undergoing treatment for an unspecified cancer.

Buckingham Palace announced in February that Charles, 75, had begun treatment for cancer, less than 18 months into his reign.

The announcement came less than three weeks after news that the king was being treated for an enlarged prostate.

In a statement released from Buckingham Palace on Friday, the king said he was “very proud” of his daughter-in-law and had remained in “closest contact” with her over the past few weeks.

The King and Queen Camilla “will continue to offer their love and support to the whole family during this difficult time”, the palace said.

Story continues below advertisement

– with files from The Associated Press

&copy 2024 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



[ad_2]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button