Sports News

‘I’m done’: Wayne Carey calls AFL ‘weak as piss’ and will never watch footy again

[ad_1]

Wayne Carey says he will stop watching AFL games if Essendon’s Peter Wright is suspended for his bump on Sydney’s Harry Cunningham.

Wright is almost certain to be out for several matches when the AFL tribunal meets on Tuesday night to decide his fate.

Watch every game in every round of this Toyota AFL Premiership season live ad-free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >

Essendon forward knocked out Cunningham cold during a brutal scoring battle early in the Sydney Swans’ 30-point win over the Bombers on Saturday night.

Speaking on his podcast The truth hurtsCarey criticized the decision to refer the incident to Tribunal and said he would not watch football as long as Wright was suspended.

“So this was sent to court?” Weak as shit straight away for the AFL,” Carey said.

“Whoever determined this is going straight to court, it’s just crap and wrong.”

“I’m prepared to say that if Peter Wright is suspended for the weeks he gets, I won’t watch an AFL football game. I finished. I’m leaving the ship.

“In fact, I would say to anyone, if we want this game to look like what it should look like – you’re allowed to attack that football, it’s allowed to protect itself.

“They arrived at football simultaneously. He turned his body to protect himself. If he doesn’t turn his body, they are both injured. This is the aim of our game. You are allowed to attack the football like he did.

The AFL cracked down on heads-up contact following Angus Brayshaw’s early retirement at the age of 28 due to ongoing concussion issues.

Melbourne’s first player was knocked out by Brayden Maynard of Collingwood in last year’s qualifying final, but Maynard escaped suspension.

Port Adelaide Sam Powell-Pepper was banned for four games for a bump that caused a concussion to Adelaide’s Mark Keane during pre-season.

The Maynard-Brayshaw incident was similar to Wright’s bump on Cunningham, and Carey argued that players should always be allowed to “attack the footy”.

“It went too far for me,” said Carey, who won two premierships with North Melbourne in the 1990s.

“I won’t watch football… if he’s weeks old. I won’t watch him while he’s out of the game.

“A waste of time, a waste of money. I simply couldn’t be more disappointed. And the fact that they are not strong enough to appeal, so they have to send it to court.

“Players are going to be petrified to even play hard. The players will move on tiptoe and will not want to attack the football. Is this what we want to do with this game?

Wright’s hit on Cunningham was the flashpoint in a fiery contest between the Bombers and Swans at the SCG on Saturday night.

Live wire of swans Tom Papley said Wright could be preparing for a “vacation” and called Essendon’s new approach of playing on the edge under coach Brad Scott a “window dressing”.

“They really gave it to us. Brad Scott came out and said they wanted to have that Essendon advantage and Peter Wright went a bit too far,” Papley told 3AW.

“They were always coming after us. You can be tough and do all that, but you still have to be able to play four quarters.

“They were hitting us behind the play and things like that. They’re trying to do this stuff and I don’t know if it’s them or not.

“Brad Scott came out and said it was the Essendon way, but… anyway, I won’t go into detail.

“You can pretend to be tough, but you still have to get the ball and win the game.

“I think it’s just a facade, but whatever.”

Essendon next play St Kilda on Saturday afternoon.

Read related topics:Sydney

[ad_2]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button