The Hamas government in Gaza suspended the evacuation of foreign passport holders to Egypt on Saturday after Israel refused to allow some injured Palestinians to be evacuated to Egyptian hospitals, a border official said.
“No foreign passport holder will be able to leave the Gaza Strip until the injured who need to be evacuated from hospitals in northern Gaza are transported through the Rafah crossing” to Egypt, the official said under cover of anonymity.
An Egyptian security source confirmed to AFP that “no injured person or holder of a foreign passport arrived at the Egyptian terminal” at Rafah on Saturday.
He said the evacuation had been suspended “after the bombing of ambulances carrying wounded people heading towards the Egyptian terminal.”
On Friday, the Israeli army announced that it had struck an ambulance in front of Al-Shifa hospital, Gaza’s largest, saying it was “being used by a Hamas terrorist cell.”
At least 15 people were killed and 60 injured in the strike, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.
Israel launched a war against Hamas in Gaza following the October 7 attacks that claimed the lives of 1,400 people, most of them civilians, according to Israel.
The Hamas-run Health Ministry says air, land and sea attacks on Gaza have killed nearly 9,500 Palestinians.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)