World News

Donald Trump’s data protection complaint over allegations he participated in ‘perverse’ sex acts in Russia dismissed by judge

[ad_1]

Donald Trump’s complaint over his allegations that he participated in “perverted” sexual acts and paid bribes to Russian officials has been dismissed by a High Court judge.

He had brought data protection action in the UK after allegations were published about him in the so-called “Steele Dossier” ahead of the 2016 election – in which Mr. Asset become president.

Mr. Trump’s complaint targeted Orbis Business Intelligence, a private investigation firm founded by former British spy Christopher Steele, who previously headed the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6). Russia desk.

Mr. Steele was the author of the dossier which contained allegations that Mr. Trump was “compromised” by the Russian security service, the FSB.

Mr. Trump has denied the claims.

Donald Trump.  Photo: AP
Picture:
Donald Trump’s high court complaint over the so-called “Steele dossier” has been dismissed by a judge. Photo: AP

The dossier, made up of more than a dozen memos, was produced by Orbis in 2016, before being leaked and published by BuzzFeed in 2017.

The former US president – ​​running for re-election in 2024 after losing to Joe Biden in 2020 – filed a lawsuit against Orbis and sought compensation for distress.

The court heard at a hearing last year that Mr. Trump was asserting two notes in the filing that claimed he attended “sex parties” in St. Petersburg and engaged in “golden showers” ​​with prostitutes in Moscow.

Hugh Tomlinson KC, representing Mr Trump, called the allegations in the memos – which also included a claim that the 77-year-old “defiled” a bed previously used by former President Barack Obama and his wife – as “extremely inaccurate”.

Learn more:
Christopher Steele: Confessions of a Former British Spy

PRESS ASSOCIATION photo Chris Steele.  Picture date: Tuesday March 7, 2017. See tag SUBJECT in PA story.  Photo credit should read: Victoria Jones/PA Wire
Picture:
Former British spy Christopher Steele. Photo: PA

In a written statement in October, Mr. Trump claimed that the filing contained “numerous untrue, false or fabricated allegations” and that he was suing Orbis to “prove, through evidence at trial, that the data is false.”

He said he did not engage in “perverse sexual behavior, including hiring prostitutes…in the presidential suite of a hotel in Moscow,” nor did he take part in “parties “in St. Petersburg and that he had not given the Russian authorities “sufficient elements of blackmail”. (him)”.

But lawyers for Orbis, based in London, requested that the case be dismissed.

They argued that the measure was “introduced in an effort to harass Orbis and Mr. Steele and address long-standing grievances.”

Orbis’ lawyer, Antony White, said Mr Trump had called for Mr Steele to be “extradited, tried and thrown in jail”, and called him a “thug” and “sleaze” involved in the “Russian collusion hoax” that produced “a total fake.” “con job” folder.

He said Mr. Trump had “deep and intense animosity” against Mr. Steele and Orbis, and “a long history of making frivolous, baseless and vexatious complaints intended to annoy and harass perceived enemies and others.” against whom he holds a grudge. .

Read more from Sky News:
Fears of life-changing injuries for mother and child after attack
Three dead after ‘catastrophic collapse’ at airport
Formula 1 star Lewis Hamilton to leave Mercedes

In a judgment delivered on Thursday, Justice Steyn said: “In my view there is no compelling reason to allow the claim to be brought before a court in circumstances where, whatever the merits of the claim, allegation that personal data is inaccurate, the complaint for compensation and/or damages… is doomed to failure.”

She continued: “In reality, the Claimant is seeking judicial findings to defend his reputation in circumstances where he has not been able to formulate a viable remedy that he would have a real chance of obtaining, or which would in itself be of some use; and having chosen to let many years pass – without any attempt to defend his reputation in this jurisdiction – since he was first made aware of the matter, including the memorandums, on January 6, 2017.”

Rejecting that claim, Judge Steyn said the “mere fact” that Orbis held copies of the memos could not cause Mr Trump distress.

“The mere storage of the notes by the defendant cannot reasonably be considered to have had any impact on the plaintiff – even if he had knowledge of them – particularly in cases where the notes are on the Internet,” the judge added.

[ad_2]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button